DO YOU REALLY WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF?
Well, here we are, the beginning of April. How are you doing with those New Year resolutions you started in January? What if we just focused on one thing this month – maintaining a healthy weight? All the research and hype is out there for you to read; here are the basic principles:
- To lose weight, you need to eat less
- The longer food takes digest, the more the release of hormones that signal you are satiated, so you feel fuller and you eat less, and you’ll lose weight.
- There are different levels of caloric availability in foods, which equates to the amount of usable calories we’re going to digest.
Guess what? Protein and fiber take the longest to digest and have the lowest caloric availability. If you eat 100 calories of protein, you ingest 70% and burn 30% in digestion. Compared that to fat, which takes 2% energy to digest, leaving 98% caloric intake. Complex carbohydrates are 10% energy and 90% intake.
Fiber is a plant-based carbohydrate which the human body can’t digest, but it slows down the rate of digestion which allows for more nutrients to be absorbed and fewer calories to be absorbed. This is why high fiber diets are more successful in helping people lose weight. Basically, it’s the difference between drinking apple or orange juice, which is digested almost immediately, versus eating an apple or orange, which take more time to digest.
All of you – eat more fiber-rich foods. Eat more protein, either animal or plant-based, and see if you can establish a healthy, sustainable diet you can maintain for a lifetime. By the way, you exercise for fitness, you eat for weight loss. You have to burn a lot of calories to lose weight, and most of us don’t have that kind of time. Eat smart instead. Bon Apetite! Dr. Ben
HOW TO KEEP YOUR MICROBIOME HEALTHY WITH PREBIOTIC FOODS
HOW TO BE CONSISTENT
HOW HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE MAKE LITTLE CHOICES DIFFERENT FROM THE REST OF US
EXERCISE FOR THE MONTH
Foot and Ankle exercises
THOUGHTS FOR THE MONTH
“What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” Jane Goodall
“Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” – OPRAH WINFREY
NEWS YOU CAN USE
The Optimist Daily
STEM CELLS; What are they and can they help you?
Have you or someone you know reached the end of their line regarding pain and disability? Cortisone shots, PRP injections and prolonged physical therapy haven’t helped? Then perhaps you should look at Stem Cell therapy by Origenesis.
Stem cells are undifferentiated cells harvested from human umbilical cords of healthy moms and babies that can become brand new cells of any kind to help you regenerate, rebuild and repair damaged body parts. They can help improve your immune system, reduce inflammation and often increase energy. Some people with epilepsy, autoimmune disease and degenerative joint disease have seen a noticeable improvement in their condition within days and weeks.
Contact me or you may call Carol Higgins at 805-825-6289 for more information.